The Free Church of Scotland has a Christian care for the welfare of each individual and seeks to make the Church a safe place for all.
In particular, the Church seeks to protect and safeguard all those who are especially vulnerable, both children and vulnerable adults, with whom it comes into contact through its activities and services.
It is the responsibility of everyone in the Church, including those working with vulnerable groups, to seek to prevent harm or abuse, whether physical, sexual or emotional.
The Church seeks to safeguard these vulnerable groups through its congregations, committees and advisers and, where appropriate, in cooperation with the statutory agencies, police and social services.
To this end, the Church is committed to training those who work on its behalf, both paid workers and volunteers, with children and vulnerable adults how to recognise and report harm or abuse.
The Church is also committed to operate safe recruitment and working practices and procedures with respect to all such workers and to offer them appropriate support, supervision and training.
The Church also undertakes to offer pastoral support to individuals in the Church who have been affected by harm or abuse.
We publish online our set of guidelines which we encourage safeguarding co-ordinators to familiarise themselves with.
Further advice and information in relation to specific circumstances can be obtained by contacting the Free Church Offices by phoning 0131 226 5286 or emailing [email protected]
Resources for download
Safeguarding Policy and Guidelines for the Protection of Children and Adults - updated October 2019
Safeguarding Policy and Guidelines - short version for Workers with Children and Adults - updated October 2019
Safeguarding Policy and Guidelines - showing tracked changes made to 2012 version
Safeguarding Policy for Social Media
Safeguarding Poster for Congregations
1. Form for Registering Congregational Safeguarding Coordinator
2. Form for Registering Congregational Depute Safeguarding Coordinator
3. Job Description and Declaration Form – Regulated Work
4. Job Application Form (New Worker) – Regulated Work
5. Job Application Form (Existing Free Church Worker) – Regulated Work
6. Pro-forma Request for a Reference
7. Self-Declaration Form
8. Identification Verification Statement
9. Guidance for Applicants for completion of “Application to Join PVG Scheme” Form
10. Guidance for Coordinators for completion of “Application to Join PVG Scheme” Form
11. Guidance for Applicants for completion of “Existing PVG Scheme Member Application” Form
12. Guidance for Coordinators for completion of “Existing PVG Scheme Member Application” Form
13. Worker Check Sheet
14. Pro-forma Congregational Register of Workers
15. Pro-forma for Workers recording allegations or suspicions of abuse or harm
16. Pro-forma for Safeguarding Coordinators or Deputes recording allegations or suspicions of abuse
17. Form for reporting an allegation or suspicion of abuse or harm to Offices
18a.Registration/Permission Form - Regular Church Groups/Clubs
18b. Registration/Permission Form - Activities/Day Trips
19. Permission Form for taking and using images of children
19a. Permission Form For Taking and Using Images of Children (Notes for Leaders)