There are still areas where there is a need to open up new churches and the Free Church Mission Board meets regularly to focus on these areas. In recent times we have seen new works develop in Cambuslang and Govan in Glasgow, Morningside in Edinburgh and Stirling. For more information about our church planting work, please contact our mission co-ordinator Sarah Macleod: [email protected]
The Cambuslang preaching station began at the end of 2009 under the oversight of Glasgow City minister Rev Dr Colin Dow. Although it started as a monthly service at a family-friendly time of 3pm, attendance has been steady and worship has been increased to twice a month. The group now meets in St Cuthbert’s Episcopal Church on Brownside Road. Services normally last about an hour, and are followed by tea/coffee. Check out their website here.
The decision to commence a new church planning venture in the Govan area of Glasgow was taken in 2013. Rev Norman Mackay of Falkirk Free Church, who was born and raised in Govan, was inducted to the work. After raising sufficient funds and finding suitable housing, the new Govan Free Church Office was set up at the Pearce Institute in the heart of Govan. The Pearce Institute has been at the heart of the Govan community since 1906 and is home to a significant number of community groups sharing the common aim of meeting the needs of the people of Govan. Mr Mackay will begin an outreach programme later this year, revolving around Christianity Explored materials.
The Morningside church plant has been overseen by Rev Neil MacMillan, and the core group made up of folk from the sister St Columba’s Free Church congregation. It originally met as a house group in the Bruntsfield area, specifically aimed at those who are not religious and would never normally consider being part of a church. Every Wednesday evening the group comes together for a meal and to spend time studying the Bible, applying it to everyday life and praying. The group were gifted the use of an old brethren building on Morningside Road, where they now meet every Sunday morning.
The Stirling Free Church congregation was formally constituted at the end of 2013. It is the first time since 1948 that the Free Church of Scotland has had a formal presence in the city. The group, which began meeting in the summer of 2013, has been averaging around 25 people at its services in the lecture hall at the Smith Art Gallery and Museum on Dumbarton Road. The group have been engaging with students at Stirling University and locals in the city. For more information visit their website: http://www.stirlingfreechurch.org